Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 10, 2010 – Falling In Love

So I realize that I just wrote you all, but this kind of news just can’t wait to be shared. I’ve fallen in love. Sorry, Jeff, it’s not you. No, my new love is called Asema and she is around 8 years old (I’m guessing). I met her just the other day in my friend Fatuma’s shop. I don’t think she stopped talking from the moment I walked in the door. Our initial conversation (in Amharic) went something like this:
Asema: Where did you come from? Is your country far?
Benny: I come from America and yes it is very far.
Asema: Am I not beautiful?
Benny: No, you are very beautiful!
Asema: I have a brother in America.
Benny: Oh that is nice. How old is your brother?
Asema: 109

We are soon playing beauty salon in the middle of the shop. She starts working with my hair and asks me: “Do you never wash your hair?” At this I am horribly offended and confused because I had actually washed my hair that very morning, after an unfortunate four day lapse due to lack of water. I soon learn that the reason for her accusation was that my hair is brown, not black, and therefore she thought it was just covered in dirt. Soon my hair is finished, complete with a side ponytail and some randomly placed braids. To dress me up she has the brilliant idea to just pull my shirt down to look like a mini dress. Of course my shin length skirt underneath kind of threw off the illusion. However, she still drags me over to the photo shop next door where they have a full length mirror so we can admire her work. Others are admiring as well.

Soon we are out to lunch, the three of us: Benny, Asema, and Fatuma. As we feast at this lovely restaurant over our “asa wat” or spicy stewed fish with enjera, Fatuma gets a phone call from her friend. Now Asema is the daughter of another of Fatuma’s friends, who needed a little break from her daughter for the day. I can’t understand why. But this friend who calls is also a friend of Asema’s mother so Fatuma gives Asema the phone. Now I do not hear one side of the conversation but from Asuma’s response, I assume the woman asked “Where are you?” To this, my darling Asema replies: “I’m in a beer house. Don’t tell my mother.”

I think you all may understand why I have become completely enraptured by this child. She has “Mohan” written all over her.

Ok that’s all for now. I want to take a moment to wish my Poppa Pat a happy birthday. I love and miss you very much and think about you always.

2 comments:

Ερμής said...

hi to all, you have a GREAT BLOG!!! I am a friend from Greece

http://diaforetikimatia.blogspot.com

The site above is my site. Please visit me my friends of Ethiopia!!!

chelsealevinson said...

super. fucking. cute.